We started off celebrating Annabelle's 4th birthday. It had been a week earlier but we decided it might be fun to celebrate with everyone. We had an awesome "rock n' roll Hello Kitty" cake (Sweet Treats by Trisha).
On the way down to Hakone we found this fun treat, dried fish and all.
| We visited the Odawara castle on the way to Hakone. The castle dates back to 1447, but the current structure is much newer. |
| Cool car. |
| We stayed at a Japanese style hotel in Hakone. The girls loved it. Here they are having "tea". |
| We went to eat sushi. This guy was hanging on the wall at the restaurant. |
| Our $25 sushi. |
| These statues were at the bar at the restaurant. Mike did a lot of giggin down in Kentucky and never found frogs like this. |
| The next morning we had a very traditional Japanese breakfast. The fish, soft boiled eggs, and orange juice kind of enjoyed by some. Glad we had some granola bars in the car. |
| This is natto, a traditional Japanese food made from soybeans fermented with Bacillus subtilis. I had to give it a try. |
| Seriously, it tasted like dirty shoes and stinky cheese. |
We took everyone to see the sulfur pits and to ride on the pirate ship. We had done this trip a few months prior so I didn't end up taking too many pictures.
| This is where they boil the eggs. |
| Eedie and Meg |
| Black ice cream that was strawberry flavored. Some of the best ice cream ever. |
| Eedie sure loved it. |
We also hiked Fuji that week. We left the girls with a friend. They never would have made it.
| The is the whole gang about 2/3 of the way up. It was rainy and windy most of the way up, making the trek a little tougher than usual. |
| This Japanese family had their four year old hiking while their five year old road in the pack. I couldn't believe the four year old didn't complain at all. |
| One of the beautiful views about half way up. |
| In a rain cloud. |
| At various points along the mountain, you could get a hiking stick branded for about 200-300 yen. |
| The 3100 meter marker. |
| All the ladies... I had a Jolly Rancher in my mouth. |
| Getting closer. |
| Finally, the top. |
| We had beef bowl and ramen at the top. It was pretty cold so the warm food hit the spot. |
| I liked this sign inside one of the shops at the top. "Reserved for the party travelers." |
| It finally cleared up while we were on top. Crazy how high up we were! |
| Afterwards... tired, sore, wind burned and ready to head home. |
I know I haven't hiked that much, but it was seriously the best hike I've ever done. I have to do more like it in the future! Just maybe not on a blustery rainy day.
No comments:
Post a Comment